- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 30 ml butter
- 60 ml maple syrup
- 240 ml hot milk
- 454 g macaroni noodles
- 240 ml cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 ml paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 240 ml mozzarella cheese, grated
- In a casserole, sauté onions and the squash cubes in butter over medium heat.
- Pour in maple syrup and stir for 1 minute before adding milk. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Cook macaroni in a casserole dish in salted boiling water for a few minutes to al dente. Drain and put it back in the casserole dish.
- Using a blender, blend the butternut and onion mixture to a smooth sauce. Pour over the macaroni.
- Add cheddar and paprika, and season with salt and pepper. Mix well and transfer into a buttered pan.
- Sprinkle over with mozzarella and bake for a few minutes to gently brown the top.
At times, getting your family to eat vegetables might be difficult. But our easy mac ‘n’ cheese recipe uses all-natural ingredients, adding essential vitamins and minerals to the popular American dish. The creamy sauce is thickened with butternut squash puree, an excellent source for Vitamin A. Maple syrup naturally adds zinc, riboflavin and manganese to the dish and has more antioxidants than broccoli. Your family may not taste the difference with our macaroni and cheese, but you would know they are getting nutrients they need.