- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 12 large white mushrooms (cremini or baby bella)
- 1 tsp steak seasoning
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup from Canada
- 12 mini-hamburger buns (Trouble finding mini-buns? Use dinner rolls or sliced baguette)
- 2/3 cup beet hummus, home-made or store-bought
- 1 1/2 cup arugula (or baby greens)
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Cut the stems off the mushrooms and save for another use. We will be using only the caps.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add the mushrooms, stem side up. Sprinkle with steak seasoning and cook 5 minutes.
- Turn mushrooms over, cover pan, and cook another 3 – 4 minutes.
- Deglaze with the balsamic vinegar and reduce, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Turn mushrooms once.
- Add the maple syrup and cook 3 – 5 minutes, turning the mushrooms regularly, or until the liquid sticks to the mushrooms. Distribute the cooking liquid evenly, as needed. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, slice the buns and place on the baking sheet. Heat in oven 3 – 4 minutes.
- Dress each bun with beet hummus, mushrooms, and the greens.
Cooked mushrooms keep in the fridge for 3 or 4 days.
You should assemble these mini-burgers just before serving.
You can cook the mushrooms in advance and reheat them along with the buns in the oven before assembling.