Featuring Maple Syrup
- 80 ml whole wheat flour
- 80 ml all purpose flour
- 5 ml baking soda
- 2.5 ml salt
- 480 ml buttermilk
- 160 ml old fashioned oats, not instant
- 2 overripe bananas, mashed with a fork to a fine pulp
- 2 egg whites, whipped to stiff peaks
- 10 ml canola oil or non-stick pan spray
- Gobs of crunchy or creamy peanut butter
- Pure maple syrup from Canada
- In a mixing bowl, combine both flours, baking soda and salt. Set aside. In a non-reactive mixing bowl, combine buttermilk, oats and bananas. Fold in dry ingredients. Fold in egg whites and mix until just combined.
- Heat one teaspoon of oil in a 12-inch non-stick skilled over medium high heat. Drop batter by the scant ¼ cup full into pan and cook, turning once until lightly browned. Hold pancakes warm on a platter until you’ve got them all cooked.
- Spread a teaspoon or so of peanut butter on each pancake and then the Pièce de résistance of course…a generous drizzle of maple syrup.
Tip: Keep banana pancake kit meals in your freezer – mix together all dry ingredients, store by the batch-full in freezer safe bags.