- 450 g sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1inch cubes
- 30 ml olive oil
- 2.5 ml salt
- 2.5 ml pepper
- 30 ml pure maple syrup
- 30 ml lemon juice
- 10 ml Dijon mustard
- 1.25 ml minced garlic
- 80 ml thin-sliced red onion
- 1 liter packed baby kale and/or arugula
- 1 small apple, cored, cut into bite-size pieces
- 240 ml cooked red quinoa
- 30 ml toasted slivered almonds
- Heat oven to 400.
- In a bowl toss sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of the salt and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper.
- Place in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake about 25 minutes, stirring once, until golden and tender. Let cool.
- In a large bowl whisk remaining tablespoon olive oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, mustard, garlic and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Add onion, then toss and let stand 5 minutes.
- Add kale; toss.
- Add apple, sweet potatoes and quinoa; toss.
- Sprinkle with almonds and serve on a platter.
This healthful, nutrient-packed salad highlights all the best Fall ingredients: kale, quinoa, apples and sweet potatoes, and tops them with a delicious mustard and maple dressing. It makes a healthy and filling weekday lunch or an impressive side dish to any meal.