- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 boneless pork butt or shoulder roast, trimmed
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup from Canada
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Barbeque sauce, to taste
- Place onion, garlic, thyme and bay leaves in a slow cooker. Rub meat with chili powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne and salt. Place meat on top of onions.
- Combine vinegar, pure maple syrup and tomato paste in a small bowl. Pour over meat. Cover slow cooker; cook over low heat for 8 hours or until meat is very tender.
- Remove meat and onions; pull apart into shreds and place in a bowl. Using a large spoon, skim off and discard fat from the cooking liquid. Pour the remaining cooking liquid slowly over the pork until it is moistened.
- Serve pork on buns with barbecue sauce and maple coleslaw on the side.