- 4 fresh Italian tomatoes or small tomatoes, sliced
- 2/3 cup maple vinegar OR 125 ml (1/2 cup) cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup from Canada
- 4 flatbreads or thick pitas or naans
- 4 tbsp (or more if desired) basil pesto, home-made or store-bought
- 2 fresh mozzarella balls, about 225 g (1/2 lb) each, sliced
- 1/4 cup parmesan, grated
- Salt and ground pepper
- 2 cups baby arugula
- Lay the tomato slices on paper towels and leave for 5 minutes to draw out excess moisture.
- Pour the maple vinegar or mixture of cider vinegar and pure maple syrup into a saucepan and boil 5 – 7 minutes or until it takes on the consistency of thick syrup. Remove from heat and pour into a bowl to stop it from cooking further. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 220° C (425° F).
- Arrange your breads on 2 baking sheets. Brush with pesto, lay on the tomatoes, mozzarella, and parmesan, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bake 12 – 15 minutes.
- Place pizzas on plates and garnish with arugula and the maple reduction.