- 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and ground pepper
- 1 1/8 lb box or 16 sheets lasagna pasta
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 medium red onions, sliced into rings
- 1/3 cup white wine or cider
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup from Canada
- 1 lb containers cottage cheese
- 3 cups melting cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, gouda, or other firm cheese), grated
- 3/4 cup cooked spinach, chopped and drained
- Preheat oven to 230° C (450° F).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the eggplant slices on it. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with Italian seasonings and salt and pepper. Bake 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, cook the lasagna noodles according to package instructions.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat and cook the onions 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the wine or cider, the balsamic, and pure maple syrup. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes. Set aside.
- After baking the eggplant, lower oven temperature to 180° C (350° F).
- Layer the ingredients in your lasagna dish as follows: a little cottage cheese to cover the bottom; 4 lasagna sheets; half the eggplant; 80 g (3/4 cup) grated cheese; 4 lasagna sheets; half the cottage cheese; all the spinach; 4 lasagna sheets; the rest of the eggplant; all the onions with their liquid; 80 g (3/4 cup) grated cheese; 4 lasagna sheets; the rest of the cottage cheese, and; the rest of the grated cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes.