Farro Salad with Real Maple Syrup Vinaigrette, Carrots, Snap Peas, Sweet Peppers, and Mint
Maple Vinaigrette (makes 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup from Canada
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups farro
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup real maple vinaigrette (recipe above)
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot rounds
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot tops
- 1 cup chopped fresh sugar snap peas
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup torn fresh mint leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the shallot and mustard in a mason jar, seal with lid and shake.
- Slowly whisk in the olive oil and then thin with the vinegar and pure maple syrup. Season with the salt and place in a clean mason jar. The vinaigrette will keep in the fridge for a week.
- Rinse the farro under cold running water in a fine-meshed sieve.
- Place the farro in a pot and cover with 4 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then add 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.
- Simmer farro and cook for 30 minutes. Then drain, toss with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate, large bowl, combine the carrots, carrot tops, snap peas, bell peppers, and mint. Add 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette and a teaspoon of kosher salt. Toss well.
- Add the farro and the remaining 1/4 cup of vinaigrette. Toss again and serve.