- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups maple sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup from Canada
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using electric mixer, cream butter, 1 cup sugar and maple syrup until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture. Wrap dough in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours or until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- On floured surface, roll out cookie dough into 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out shapes using holiday cutters; rerolling scraps once. Transfer to prepared sheets. Sprinkle remaining maple sugar over top; press lightly into cookies. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until firm.
- In 3 batches, bake cookies for 8 to 10 minutes or until set and lightly golden. Transfer to rack; let cool completely.
Tip: Use different cookie cutters and sprinkles to customize these cookies for any occasion.