Maple Apple Cake
- 3/4 cup cooking oil, or melted, unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup pure maple syrup from Canada
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups peeled, diced apples, divided
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, very cold
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup from Canada
Maple Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream, well-chilled
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup from Canada
Making the Apple Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350F/177C. Prepare a 9-inch spring form or regular pan by spraying the sides with a baking spray and lining the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pure maple syrup, cooking oil (or melted butter), eggs, sour cream and vanilla extract. Beat the ingredients together for a few minutes, until a smooth mixture forms.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Sift the dry ingredients into the cake batter, then mix on low speed for about 1 minute, just until the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Next, fold in 2 cups of diced, peeled apples. Transfer the apple cake batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of diced apples over the top.
Making the Streusel Topping
- Next, prepare the streusel topping. Cut the cold butter into small pieces, then place it into a mixing bowl along with the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Using a pastry blend or two large forks, cut the butter into the flour, until small crumbles form. Add in the sliced almonds next. Pour in the pure maple syrup and lightly toss the crumble, just until no dry flour remains. Sprinkle the crumble over the top of the cake.
Baking the Cake
- Bake the apple streusel cake in the preheated oven at 350F for about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 to 15 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Check the cake starting at 55 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and onto a wire rack to cool.
Maple Whipped Cream
- Meanwhile, prepare the maple whipped cream frosting. Place the chilled heavy cream and the pure maple syrup into a mixing bowl and whisk on high speed for 4 to 5 minutes, until stiff peaks form. This whipped cream is optional.
- Enjoy the cake warm with a cup of hot coffee or tea. If desired, pipe a generous dollop of whipped cream on the side with each serving. Keep the cake at room temperature and well wrapped. It will stand at room temperature for 2 days, or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Keep the whipped cream chilled.