- 5 ml salt, divided
- 2 kg potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 10 potatoes)
- 454 g strong cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups grated)
- 237 ml whole milk
- 59 ml pure maple syrup from Canada
- .6 ml freshly ground black pepper
- 30 ml butter, melted, plus more for greasing pan
- 79 ml breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Fill large stockpot with water. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes. Strain and return potatoes to pot.
- To pot, add 1 1/2 cups cheese, milk, butter, maple syrup, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; mash well to combine. Transfer to a greased baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix remaining 1/2 cup cheese with breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture evenly over mashed potatoes. Bake until top is golden, about 30 minutes.
In honor of tapping season, treat your family to a sugar shack inspired meal with all the maple fixings. Serve these cheesy maple mashed potatoes alongside our maple beer baked ham for a true taste of Canada.