- 1 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup from Canada
- 3/4 cup active sourdough starter
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- In large bowl, combine water and maple syrup. Add sourdough starter, stirring until well combined. Stir in all-purpose flour and rye flour until shaggy dough forms. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- On lightly floured surface; gently knead dough, folding in walnuts, salt and cinnamon just until incorporated. Shape dough into small round ball; place on square of parchment paper set inside bowl. Cover and let stand for about 2 hours or until doubled in size (or refrigerate overnight; let come to room temperature before continuing).
- Place Dutch oven with lid in oven; cover and preheat oven to 450° F.
- Carefully remove pot from oven; remove lid. Transfer dough with parchment paper to Dutch oven.
- Using sharp knife, quickly score bread; cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for about 20 minutes or until loaf is golden brown and cooked through. Remove loaf from Dutch oven; let cool directly on rack.
• Serve warm with butter and a drizzle of maple syrup.
• Substitute 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast for sourdough starter if desired.