- 4 cups water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup uncooked stone-ground grits
- 3/4 cup whole buttermilk
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup from Canada
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pepitas, for garnish
- Fill a large stock pot or saucepan with 4 cups water, 1 cup milk, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then gradually whisk in 1 cup of the grits. Return to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium. Stir the grits occasionally until thick and creamy for about 25 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the buttermilk, butter, pumpkin puree, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and pepper. Divide the mixture among four bowls and garnish tops with pepitas. Serve and enjoy!