- 1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup of Canada
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1/3 cup thin-sliced red onion
- 4 cups packed baby kale and/or arugula
- 1 small apple, cored, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup cooked red quinoa
- 2 tbsp toasted slivered almonds
- Heat oven to 400° F.
- In a bowl toss sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon of the salt and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper.
- Place in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Bake about 25 minutes, stirring once, until golden and tender. Let cool.
- In a large bowl whisk remaining tablespoon olive oil, pure maple syrup, lemon juice, mustard, garlic and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Add onion, then toss and let stand 5 minutes.
- Add kale; toss.
- Add apple, sweet potatoes and quinoa; toss.
- Sprinkle with almonds and serve on a platter.
This healthful, nutrient-packed salad highlights all the best Fall ingredients: kale, quinoa, apples and sweet potatoes, and tops them with a delicious mustard and maple dressing. It makes a healthy and filling weekday lunch or an impressive side dish to any meal.